An eventual home screen iteration.
Google Ventures' Design Sprint Process
Time-constrained, five-phase process, applying Design Thinking with the aim of reducing the risk of bringing a new product or service to the Market.
Understand the audience, and the value proposition.
Diverge with the thinking to generate a wide range of approaches to the problem.
Converge the thinking onto a few main ideas for exploration & development.
Prototype as early as possible, for testing with the target audience.
Test the prototype with individuals in that target audience.
the User's Experience.
1: Understanding the User's perspective
I started with in-depth information from a user identified as the target audience.
The Main Problem is to provide user-controlled depth of information.
"Once you know about certain artists' details, they pop out at you!" - Lena
We needed to be ready with in-depth information for users who want to dive deeply.
And we need to allow the user to control whether or not to dive deeply - don't give a whole article when a sentence would do.
There's also a technical problem, of connecting the user directly to the information they need.
QR Codes address this issue, but are not universally-applicable.
2: Diverging through Sketch
I looked into image-recognition solutions from:
Results were inconsistent and unreliable, so I reverted to the idea of using QR Codes. Once the target artwork is identified, user can tap on different cards for artist, dates, media, context, etc.
I quickly sketched out 8 different home screens to explore alternate layouts. By limiting each sketch to 1 minute, I focused on simplicity.
I selected my favorite from the divergent sketches, and fleshed out some details.
3: Converge with Decisions
Returning to the selected Solution Sketch from the previous day, I developed a deeper understanding of the Information Architecture that would be best.
The Information Architecture is intentionally shallow - I find this a natural way to allow the user to easily select their level of detail.
In Storyboard Development I kept the Architecture as shallow as possible; the whole app has only 4 levels of depth, so the user can easily select More Detail or Less Detail.
4: Prototype for testing
I built out a prototype in Adobe XD, representing the architecture I had in mind.
Colors and Fonts were quickly selected to be easy on the eyes, and relaxing to use.
Testing mostly validated my design, but of course there were areas to clean up.
Some users were not understanding that they could scroll the content, so I adjusted spacing and added text and illustrations to get that across.
While observing the users, I also observed details in the app, that I would want to improve in later iterations. For example, after the testing I added a low-opacity background photo.